Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Oh happy day!

Before wrapping up for the day, I wrote a line to be beamed out to thousands that said, in part, "...craves your mail like a panda with PMS craves chocolate-covered bamboo."

And it made me happy. In fact, it suddenly made up for a horrible day, one that began auspiciously when I almost blacked out from the heat on what became a two-hour journey to work.

Just take away the hooves; add a jazzy polyester maternity outfit, and this could be me on my commute this morning.

And so I'm reminded of this bit from "Some Dark Thoughts on Happiness" an article by Jennifer Senior in New York Magazine:

"And from Barry Schwartz’s The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less, I come across the most compelling, persuasive, and revolting study of them all: Two separate groups of men, when given colonoscopies, reported less discomfort if the instrument sat in place for a few seconds after the procedure, even though it prolonged the exam. The reason is that the final moment involved less pain. Apparently, we define and remember our experiences by their highs, lows, and how they end."

Susie signing off saying, here's hoping your day ends painlessly, and your end is never in pain.