Tuesday, May 15, 2007

On Mother's Day, My Boy Wore Phyllis
DSC_0036
I remember seeing an interview with comedy pioneer Phyllis Diller about her inspiration for performing comedy. She said, "I had five children. I had to feed my babies!"

It stuck with me because it was so impressively plain compared to the motivators of other comedy heroes. Not the art of personal expression, fame to get back at people who didn't understand you in high school or big money. Just. feed. the. babies.

Rock on Phyllis. Me and my boy salute you. And Happy 90th if I don't see you before July.

Note: This awesome one-of-a-kind baby wear you see above is from a set of custom comedy onesies made for Hugo by pal Beth -- yes made with her own hands! The whole set includes Ernie Kovacs, Milton Berle, Henny Youngman and Carol Channing. The coolest shower gift ever. And yes, you should be jealous.
DSC_0002