Friday, May 05, 2006

See ya, wouldn't want to be ya.

I am spending some time cleaning up my links here, even though I'm in the process of building a whole new website (sort of like locking the barn after the horse has already closed on a brand new 3-bedroom 2-bath barn).

So here are some of the links we can say farewell to from Felber's Frolics sidebar, and why...

1. Jestmag.com

It had some real good stuff in it. Many of my friends wrote for it. And when the New York Times wrote about it, my dog and I ended up in the photo. It went from newsprint, to glossy to "web only" and finally, I know not when, to that Bizarre German clown placeholder. RIP Jest.

Note: Incidentally, the original editor of Jest Magazine (and the dude who created the famed Williamsburg werewolf blog) has just started a new blog. It's about hockey. And the cool thing is he knows most of you don't give a hoot, but his heart must go on. Check it out right here!

2. Eatingit.net

Luna Lounge is gone, and now so is the site that indexed all the performers who did this always-being-accused-of-being-overrated by jealous comedians yet always totally awesome show. I was lucky to perform there many times, and host as well. Some of my best performing experiences in NYC were doing Luna, because you knew if you took a chance, and went balls out, the unusually hip yet happy audience would catch you. Also fun if you weren't doing the show as you could always count on Monday as a perfect night to have a drink and a late night bite with your other comedy friends.

3. ToddWomack.com

OK this one is odd for a number of reasons. First of all, I don't really know this comedian very well, yet I linked to him. He has a fancy website (for a comic people, for a comic) but he hasn't updated his blog since 10/05 and he hasn't updated his performance dates since 12/13/05. As the last gig he has listed was GTN, I have to ask Andre, "What did you do with the body?!" Todd: I hope you're alright. Really. If you are not OK, I'll feel guilty.

4. Salon.com

Sorry Salon, but you're getting my dander up. From the "you give liberals a bad name" file comes this article by the typical older New York mom overreacting to her 5-year-old son getting patriotic when in upstate NY. It was too much for me.

Check out what she and her husband played with their son when he came home from kindergarten:

"...to counteract any God-and-country indoctrination he received in school, we began our own informal in-home instruction about Bush, Iraq and Washington over the evening news. "

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But seriously, I wish I could be a fly on the wall for the "instruction...over the evening news." Brainwashing a 5-year-old. Nice!

And before I ramble on, Narrowsburg is not, as the author claims, "a red dot in a blue" state. There's red all over upstate New York, it's just that the population of the New York Metro area is a bit heftier, eh? So yeah, I took the link to Salon away, but maybe I will check in now and again, just so I can learn how to not become THAT.

Tune in next time for some good blog vibes with my !