Monday, February 06, 2006

Woman vs. Bus
First in a possible series of matches between Me (the Woman) and the M42 (the Manhattan crosstown bus).

Usually when you take a bus in Manhattan you start inwardly cursing the bus for its slowitude and you get bloody minded and think, "It would probably be faster to walk." But you really don't believe it, because if you did, you'd never have gotten on the bus in the first place. The bus stops a lot, but it has to be faster than walking, right? We shall see...

This morning's match: 8th Avenue to 3rd Avenue. Me Vs. M42 #9664, which had pulled up to the stop at Port Authority as I set off.

Woman walking WINS over bus by a 1/4 of a block.

NOTE: Manhattan buses that run along routes already serviced by subways are for the infirm and the unemployed only and any delays incurred are your own fault for being stupid enough to get on a bus.

UPDATE: Here are the latest Woman vs. Bus stats... As of 2/10, I am 5 for 6, in beating the crosstown bus. My walking to beat the bus matches took place in the day and in the evening. And did I mention the woman (me) taking on the bus was walking in heels? Nope, but I was.

I am currently in Park City, Utah skiing and panning for leftover Sundance fest swag bags. The excitement of Woman vs. Bus will resume 2/21.